Thursday, January 29, 2009

Howard's Special Raw Trail Mix

1 cup Raw Almonds
1 cup Raw Walnuts
1 cup Raw Pecans
1 cup Raw Pine Nuts
1/2 cup Raw unhulled sesame seeds
1/2 Raw sunflower seeds
1/2 Raw pumpkin seeds
12 Dates
1 cup Raisins

Chop the dates, pecans, almonds, and walnuts. Put all ingredients in a Ziplock baggy and shake until the ingredients are well mixed together. The proportions of the various ingredients vary each time I make this. I don't worry too much about measurements. It is a delicious snack or dessert. Guests love this trail mix.

Sometimes I put the ingredients in the grain jar of my Vitamix and chop lightly to get a smoother consistency to the trail mix. This mixes everything together more fully and gives a sweeter taste if you put enough dates in the mix. This makes it especially nice as a topping for oatmeal, salads, etc.

3 comments:

  1. thanks, I'll try this. but I might try it without the dates and raisins first. Do you think that would still be good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. or maybe I'll try it exactly as you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it with the dates and raisins to make it sweet. Also, 2 oz of the trail mix with the dates and raisins has less fat than 2 oz. of pure nuts/seeds. But, the main reason is that it tastes better with the dried fruit. You can experiment with just adding a little dried fruit and then varying to taste. I ordered some Gobi berries from the Fuhrman website. I am going to experiment with these in the trail mix.

    ReplyDelete